Music Therapy bachelor degree programme
Improve people’s health using targeted musical interventions. The Music Therapy bachelor programme at IMC Krems will equip you with the fundamental expertise you require.
You will learn about the targeted implementation of key evidence-based music therapy techniques and methods used to treat clients within a therapeutic relationship. After completing the three-year programme, you will be qualified to assume joint responsibility for the treatment of your clients.
Courses normally take place on Friday and Saturday. There is also 1 block week per semester.
You will complete your degree in 6 semesters, or 3 years. During this time, your workload will be 180 ECTS credits.
The degree programme
IMC Krems’ Music Therapy bachelor programme stands out for its strong practical focus. You will receive comprehensive professional training which enables you to practise as an employed music therapist at a range of healthcare institutions.
- Theoretical content encompassing medicine and psychology, music therapy models and methods, ethics and law
- Fundamentals of academic research methods
- Development of musical performance skills, such as for the harp, percussion instruments and use of the voice
- Practical activities to develop skills in areas such as music therapy improvisation and music therapy techniques
- Clinical practice in fields such as neurology, psychosomatics and paediatric psychiatry
In the first year of the programme, the majority of the courses are music- and theory-based.You will have the opportunity to practise the basic skills you acquire in role plays, and develop them further under supervision on the practice placements which begin in semester 3. The specific issues and questions that present themselves during your clinical practice will serve as the basis for your bachelor paper – the results of the action research you conduct in semesters 5 and 6.
When you graduate, you can become a registered music therapist. As a registered therapist, you will be able to assume joint responsibility for the treatment of your clients.
Get to know the core team of our bachelor degree programme Music Therapy.