Welcome Home in Krems

We are happy that you have chosen to spend one or more semesters studying with us at IMC Krems.

We know that living away from home, leaving behind your friends and family and getting to know a place that is very new to you – for the time being at least – is a big step to take. And with this in mind we would like to offer you our support and a helping hand right from the very start of your time with us.

If you are not from Austria, you don’t speak German or you are not an Austrian citizen, then the International Welcome Center is here to help.

As soon as you have been accepted onto one of our bachelor or master programmes or have been nominated by an IMC Krems partner university, we will provide you with support on organisational matters not directly related to your studies.

We mean it when we say: welcome to Krems – WELCOME HOME.

Things that you will need to organise and that we can help you with

Travelling to/entering Austria

Depending on whether you are from an EU or European Economic Area (EEA) country or a non-EU/EEA citizen (third country national), there are various formalities concerning your entry to Austria that need to be considered.

  • EU/EEA and Swiss citizens

You do not require an entry or residence permit, but you do need a valid passport. If you are staying in the country for more than three months, you must apply to the relevant Austrian registry authority for a registration certificate (Anmeldebescheinigung).

  • Third country nationals

You will need to obtain a student residence permit (Aufenthaltsbewilligung Studierender) for your stay in Austria and/or a visa to enter the country.

You should apply to the relevant Austrian agency in your home country for a visa and/or residence permit in good time. IMC Krems will issue the required admission notice/confirmation of admission.

Please note that it takes at least six weeks to process a visa application and in some cases considerably longer depending on the embassy in question. It is therefore important to apply for your visa in good time.


  • You may be required to provide attested documents. Make sure you find out what the verification requirements are in good time.
  • To avoid long waiting times, arrange an appointment at the embassy well in advance.
  • You can speed up the application process by having all the necessary documents/certificates ready in good time.

Below are some helpful links on Austrian visa and residence requirements, as well as information on working alongside your studies. 


An overview of our students’ preferred accommodation options is provided below.

Europazentrum Krems student residence

Location: about five minutes by foot from the IMC Piaristengasse and IMC Campus Krems.

Kolping Campus Krems student residence

Location: Campus Krems

University College of Teacher Education (Kirchlich Pädagogische Hochschule, KPH) student residence

Location: about 20 minutes by foot from the IMC Piaristengasse, about 30 minutes from IMC Campus Krems, and about 10 minutes from the railway station.

Private student accommodation

Private accommodation is advertised on the STIK student internet platform, which connects the different degree programme administrations, the universities based in Krems and Krems town council.

IMC Krems does not accept any responsibility regarding the quality, facilities or costs of the accommodation advertised on this website.

The Facebook group "Kremser Student Pinboard" is a good place to find roommates/flatmates or to network with other students. 

Download accommodation options for incoming students